Did you miss an event from the Yidishe Velt Virtual Festival? Then visit the [UConn recap webpage] to find all the events recorded for you to watch on Youtube, or click on the individual titles below!
The festival included the following events:
- Eddy Portnoy (Academic Advisor and Director of Exhibitions at the YIVO Institute for Jewish Research): Bad Rabbi: And Other Strange but True Stories from the Yiddish Press
- Sam Kassow (Charles H. Northam Professor of History at Trinity College): Yiddish Culture in Wartime 1939-1945
- Nick Underwood (Assistant Professor of History and Berger-Neilsen Chair of Judaic Studies, The College of Idaho): The World of Yiddish Theatre in History and Digital
- Mark Slobin (Winslow-Kaplan Professor of Music Emeritus, Wesleyan University): The Yiddish Song Today
- Anna Shternshis and Psoy Korolenko: Yiddish Glory: The Lost Songs of World War II
NEW FOUR WEEK MINI-COURSE WITH PROFESSOR SAMUEL KASSOW SPRING 2020
Discover the Legacy of Jewish Life in Eastern Europe
The legacy of Jewish civilization in Eastern Europe is enormous: from Hasidism to the Jewish Enlightenment, to Yiddish Literature, Modern Hebrew Literature, Zionism, and more.
NEW MINI-COURSE: Vilna - The Jerusalem of Lithuania, Warsaw - The Jewish Metropolis and Lodz - The Jewish Chicago. In this spring course we will explore the diversity, vitality and contributions of three cities that were significant centers of pre-WWII Jewish culture and history.
7:00 - 9:00 PM
Community Services Building
333 Bloomfield Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117
Monday, March 23
Monday, March 30
Monday, April 6
Monday, April 13
Cost is $80/person for the course (fee is non-refundable):
Register by visiting www.jhsgh.org/kassow-2020
Class size is limited. Please register early.
Dr. Samuel Kassow is the Charles H. Northam Professor of History at Trinity College. He holds a Ph.D. from Princeton University and lectures locally and nationally. Currently Dr. Kassow is a consultant to the Museum of the History of Polish Jews in Warsaw. He has lectured and taught in Russia, Poland, Israel, Lithuania, and Mexi-co. Dr. Kassow is the author of numerous publications including Who Will Write Our History – Rediscovering a Hidden Archive from the Warsaw Ghetto.
Sponsored by the Jewish Hartford European Roots Project and the Jewish Historical Sociaty of Greater Hartford.